Get a taste of the old and the new - For a limited time, get the LP
version of Peter Walker's Rainy Day Ragga and the CD version of Spanish
Guitar together for one low price. They are only pressed this way. We do not have LP's of spanish
guitar or cd's of rainy day ragga. Sorry!
back to recent news
July 25 2006 - Birdman is proud to announce the signing of APACHE. Check them out in SF
April 23 2006 - Debut albums coming soon from The Nice Boys and Howlin' Rain
- The new single from The Cuts is now available in our store. Features "I'm Not Down" and two more.
- Gris Gris launch tour with Warlocks to prepare for release of For the Season, out October 28th. Gris Gris have been chosen by NME as Single of the Week!
- The Time Flys are playing the West Coast in Support of Fly out now! "Time Flys are all bored, beer swilling, Midwest blurt-out goofitude. Songs
about dumb friends, dope gulping, and occasional lapses into caveman
analogies harken to that pre-Pistols blip when 'punks' would rather spend
their rent money on comic books than haircuts." - Seattle Stranger
- Paula Frazer announces shows in support of Leave the Sad Things Behind, out October 4th. "The opener, 'Always on My Mind,' immediately sweeps you away to a parlor
co-habited by Tindersticks, Chris Isaak,
Charlie Rich and Karen Carpenter." - Derk
Richardson, SF GATE
- Tom Recchion to perform in
OrkestRova: John Coltrane's Electric Ascension
Los Angeles Project: 9/30 and 10/1/2005 @ REDCAT - Roy and Edna Disney/CalArts Theater
- Birdman flies to ArthurFest: Modey Lemon, The Time Flys and Young Jazz Giants will all be playing Monday, September 15
- Paula Frazer and Greg Ashley will be in the United Kingdom, doing mostly press and a few shows
- The Gris Gris to play All Tomorrow's Parties in the UK in December; meanwhile, they will be touring with The Warlocks in October
- Coming this fall: New releases from Paula Frazer, The Gris Gris, and more
- Available August 16th: Modey Lemon - The Curious City -- catch Modey Lemon with Dinosaur Jr August 17th in San Francisco and August 18th in Los Angeles
- Available August 2nd: The Time Flys - Fly -- 12 songs of rock/punk straight outta Oakland CA. Recorded with Greg Ashley of The Gris Gris and The Mirrors
- Foetus Love out now!
- Birdman is proud to present the first in a series of lessons from local guitar wizard Ben Brown; absorb the wisdom and ask Ben a question
- Birdman announces the release of -
MALPRACTICE, a Fflint Central compilation - OUT NOW
For fans of: Nurse With Wound, Throbbing Gristle, Tom Recchion, EAR,
Gershawn Kingsley, and ALIENS.
Fflint Central, a fantastic CDR-only label, comes from the country outside of
Manchester where ley lines vibrate through the fates of the local
inhabitants. Whether or not it is these vibrations that triggered off a group of
like-minded sound distortionists to create dark, groovy soundscapes is
anyone's guess. But the phenomena is real and for these past years amazing
electronic warlords have formed groups to create some of the most
innovative, trance-enducing, psychedelic wave formed moments since
Stockhausen discovered the electrified Jew Harp.
All twenty something of the
Fflint Central releases, chronicling the exploits of the great bands such as
PENDRO and BERKOWITZ, LAKE AND DAHMER, have been circulated in the
underground in the form of CD-Rs, a medium of communication that
unfortunately protects all but the fellow travelers from exposure. Yet the
legendary late John Peel caught on and played them regularly on his show.
Electronic guru rags such as WIRE and E/I have flown the freak flag of
Fflint with gusto. And with this Birdman Records release, Malpractice -- a
compilation of classic cuts from the Fflint Central archives -- for the first
time in history, the music is being made readily available to the public.
- The New York Times reviews PFFR's MTV2 show Wonder Showzen!
Read the review here
- Birdman-a-Phone will be releasing a 6-song EP later this month -- online only
- Birdman Announces the Signing of Brian Glaze! The new record will be mastered soon and available by summer.
Shows for April -
- Wednesday, April 13th @ the Ivy Room, Oakland, CA
- Saturday, April 16th @ Ivy Room, Oakland, CA
- Wednesday, April 20th @ Stork Club, Oakland, CA.
- Coyote can now be heard at Urban Outfitters across the country
PFFR develop show for MTV2 - Birdman's own PFFR have a new show debuting on cable's MTV2 in March. Wonder Showzen "is an absurdist comedy/variety show, spiked with a team of puppets, kids, cartoons and old educational films." Tune in Friday, March 11 at 9.30pm eastern.
Midnite Snake Record Follow Up To Debut Classic -
The Midnite Snake are putting the finishing touches on their new hell-ride of
a record. It was recorded on January 30th and 31st at the Brass Factory in
Pittsburgh by Jason Kirker (of Modey Lemon fame, who also helmed the boards
recently for THE APES). It is rumored that drummer Paul Quattrone crashed the gong all over this
Tentative Song Titles:
- - Shaving the Angel
- - Bigfoot 69
- - Cruise Control
- - My Sweet Load
- - Super Modified
- Birdman show posters available in our store now! Rare, out of print, hand-screened posters by Resist Impostors (Justin Walsh).
- Greg Ashley is currently producing the debut album from The Time Flys
- Birdman Records T-Shirt available in our store now! Show your allegiance to your favorite record label.
NEW RELEASES FOR FALL 2004
- Birdman Records to release TWILIGHT SINGERS She Loves You on Vinyl in January 2005.
Birdman is putting together an ultra-swank gatefold vinyl edition
of the latest Twilight Singers long-player She Loves You, an album of
covers that was released on CD by One Little Indian/Birdman last month.
It will be 120mg vinyl and, unlike the CD release, boast the now
legendary un-censored front cover in addition to an LP-exclusive bonus track, a cover of the Beatles' "Her Majesty" . Trust us, it is a beautiful thing.
COYOTE - By pulling from a multitude of musical influences, Coyote
sometimes haunting, sometimes sonic sound that allows the
feel joy from pain. With lyrics that often portray
Coyote immediately grabs your attention. The piano driven
melodies invite the
audience inside their frenzied spirit.
- BROTHER JT - OFF BLUE is one of the most solid and beautiful
do-it-yourself psychedelic records ever; it boasts JT's most melodic and
"groovy" song to date, blending mosquito fuzzed-out guitar with a little
folk and underwater goodness that resembles the fog descending on a mind
filled with bliss.
- Foetus - A brand new 4 song EP is available now,
featuring the track "(not adam)" from the full-length album, plus exclusive re-ixes of
two other tracks from the LOVE (Spring 2005) release: "Miracle", re-mixed by
Jay Wasco, and "Time Marches On" re-mixed by Ipecac recording artist End.
In addition, a new exclusive non-album track, "Not in Yr Hands", is
included on the EP. For more info visit www.foetus.org
- opens her store in Bernal Heights!!! Featuring hand-woven
scarfs, yarn and other goodies by the one and only Paula Frazer. Visit Paula Frazer Handwoven at
324 Cortland Ave at Bennington, San Francisco CA.
- Speaking of Paula, ex-Kronos Quartet-er Joan Jeanrenaud recently played on 3 songs of the
upcoming Paula Frazer record August.
Giant Squid - It comes from the deep, the Giant Squid. It knows the dialect of rock spoken in the darkest corners of the Sea. With submerged industrial beats and Atlantis powered amplification, the rock is otherworldly and under watery. Bow down to the primitive genius of Giant Squid.
Polyphonic Spree/Grandaddy - Two exclusive tracks by two of the most prized combos
in America. The Polyphonic Spree offering is a studio version of the live
favorite "The March." Grandaddy's side,"The Rugged and Splintered Entertainment Center", is
a memorable song from these bearded wonders. Each band contributed beautiful
artwork to this little 45 RPM nugget.
Gris Gris - The A side (Mary) is an alternative version to the album's,
featuring newbie Gris Gris Lars Kullberg on keyboards. The B side is a powerhouse psych
explosion that reaffirms all that is electric.
Time Flys - Energy!!!! Like the A side yells: Pure and simple
Early punk rawk-inspired greatness from Oakland featuring Andy from the
Cuts on guitar. Listen in awe as new glam god (for definition of glam,
see NY Dolls, Heartbreakers, etc) Eric Johnson preaches the positive with
exploding hair and a brazen larynx on both sides of this raw, aggressive